Thanet Vets - Cat Grooming Days
Here at Thanet Vets we hold regular cat grooming days on Mondays throughout the year at our professional onsite grooming salon in Birchington. NO DOGS will be in the salon on these special days making it a less stressful environment for your cat
All grooms are completed by Karen Fenwick RVN (our head nurse) who holds an ISFM certificate in feline nursing, which leads to an excellent understanding of our feline friends.
The salon becomes a feline enhanced area with the use of appeasing feline phemones and all cats are treated individually for their own specific needs. Some cats may need all day others just a few hours. Your cat will have their nails clipped first and then your choice of style - either routine groom or our named lion clip. Their face and eyes cleaned, a dry shampoo and fluff up plus ears cleaned if requested for a small extra fee. Any abnormalities found would be discussed and advice given.
A benefit of being attached to the vets is that for the odd cat who really gets stressed, we can offer a sedation under veterinary supervision which is quick and completely reversible. They will receive the same treatment but without any stress.
Why the need for grooming?
We all love to be pampered, and the same goes for your cat. But it’s not only a nice treat that felines enjoy, it’s actually very good for their health and wellbeing too. If you have a longhaired cat you may already be familiar with their need for frequent grooming. The coats of longhaired cats easily tangle and mat so regular grooming is a must. Unfortunately though Karen has seen many longhaired cats who don’t get the needed daily grooming and end up with health complications as a result.
Even if you have a shorthaired cat, regular grooming is an important part of maintaining health. They may not have a coat that mats but frequent brushing will cut down on shedding and the amount of hair getting ingested through self-grooming.
Benefits of Grooming
- Brushing distributes the natural oil which helps maintain skin and coat health
- With frequent brushing you can address tangles before they turn into mats
- Grooming enables us to check for parasites such as fleas and ticks
- Frequent grooming helps desensitize the cat to being handled
- We are able to check for any skin abnormalities or ear problems
- The more hair removed through brushing, the less hair your cat will swallow
- Tangles and mats can pull on the delicate skin and make it difficult for the cat to walk
- Mats around the armpits could result in tearing of the skin.
For further advice or to make a booking please contact us on 01843 22678.